Any person with a non-stick pan, a carton of eggs & any type of ingredients can put an omelet together. They are simple and don't need a 'Cordon Bleu' diploma to get it to perfection!
This little recipe can mean getting a good, healthy meal into anybody: your kids, your teens, your lovers & yourselves after a long day. I think a non-stick pan is essential. Eggs tend to stick and burn easily with normal pans & with an omelet we want it smooth, even silky!
Eggs are a great source of protein. The yolk holds all the fat & cholesterol so if you are trying to cut down & be that bit healthier leave it out! This is the 1st time I've made an egg white omelet and it is delicious! I found that it is much lighter without the yolk but I find them both equally as good.
Eggs = cheap + thumbs up nutritionally + so diverse + super easy to cook with
Ingredients per person
3 egg whites
Handful - 1) Cherry tomatoes 2) Comté cheese
Little bunch of basil
Salt + Pepper
Table spoon of toasted almonds
Tea spoon extra virgin olive oil
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half and crush with the basil leaves , salt & pepper - leave to chill for about 20 minutes allowing the juices to intensify, if you don't have the time just use them straight away (they will still be good)
- Get the Comté cheese and cut into tiny cubes
- Heat up your non-stick pan & add a TSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil when hot enough
- Separate the eggs & whisk in a bowl (egg whites take in a lot of air which makes the omelet fluffy!)
- Add the egg to the warmed pan and with a fork drag the omelet from side to side getting it even fluffier (looks kinda like your starting scrambled eggs, but we don't want that so be smooth & gentle tiger)
- With a knife or spatula edge around the pan & try to lift the edges of the omelet from the pan
- When the egg looks almost set add the crushed basil tomatoes & Comté cheese
- Gently, trying not to break the whole omelet - with the knife/spatula turn 1 side of the omelet onto the other
- Allow to cook for about 30 seconds, take the pan off the heat and cover with a lid - leave until finished with accompaniments or about 2-3 minutes (I feel this allows the egg to fully set & gives an extra minute for the cheese to melt even more!)
- Serve with toasted almonds & a nice wholesome grainy bread
Watch Jamie Oliver make his perfect omelet over here on this link
For some awesome egg recipes check out http://www.incredibleegg.org/ Cracked full of egg recipes, good tips & an egg fact section!
Enjoy & get cracking,
Bella :) X