Apple & peach = a pretty strong marriage! They are both as sweet as a sunny day but have completely different textures. The crunch of the apple Vs the smoothness of the peach is just as good as watching a scene from your favourite film! (I’m not over reacting! I was going to use the all-time ‘match made in heaven’ line but didn’t want to ‘over cheese’ the situation ;) ha ha)
Trying to think on the lines of using fruits and being extra healthy ;) I came up with this simple poached apple & peach breakfast mix! It’s a layered glass (or however you like) of the fruit & natural yogurt with toasted flaky almonds scattered on top. It’s easy to make and takes about 20 minutes.
It’s a great recipe if you’re trying to stay in shape and be that little bit healthier! The fruits offer a great source of vitamins, the natural yogurt gives you the calcium kick-start to the day while the toasted almonds give you that extra hit of fibre which is all good in the general running of the body!
This breakfast recipe can easily be turned into a dessert favourite. Mixing the almonds with a crumbled digestive biscuit & toasting in the oven will leave your guests warm and yummy inside!
1 apple (I’m guessing the best would be a crunchy & slightly bitter Granny Smith but I just used a Pink Lady as it was what we had laying around!)
1 fairly ripe peach
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon water/ orange juice
2 pots of natural yogurt + 2 teaspoon brown sugar for a sweeter flavour
Handful of flaky almonds
- Cube the apple & peach, add to a saucepan (for presentation: thinly slice some apple and peach, leave until the end)
- Add the tablespoon of brown sugar + the tablespoon of water
- Poach until soft
- In the meantime, mix the natural yogurt with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Toast the almond flakes on a low heat. Just until brown. When they go dark brown they become bitter and we don’t want that!
- Get a glass of your choice and start to fill with a dessert spoon of the fruit mix, then a dessert spoon of the yogurt. Do this twice.
- Sprinkle the top of the mixture with the toasted almonds.
- For the wow factor stick thinly slices of apple & peach onto the side of the mixture.
If you are a Marvin Gaye fan like me, blast this out of the stereo while preparing this recipe! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdIF1lrIxXc
He has the power to wake up any kind of sleepyhead and get your day on the right track!!! ;)
Enjoy & Bon appétit,
Bella :) x